Do you know that melons are one of the richest sources of vitamin C? They also contain different types of minerals like potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorous. And, minerals are the must for ensuring good health. When your body lacks vitamin C, you suffer from many serious diseases like scurvy, a disease that spreads pain in every joint of a human being. Lack of minerals is also responsible for many health issues, like, if your body has deficiency of minerals, you will suffer from hemoglobin and heart diseases.
Eating melons secure you from these incredible diseases. However, there are different types of melons. Let’s get an overview.
Different Types of Melons
The surprising thing about the varieties of melons is that there are 1200 types of melons. Surprised? Yes, we were astonished when we heard about it. However, we are not going to discuss all 1200 types rather a few of them that comes with magical health benefits. Besides, when you will meet the ten or fifteen types of melons, the other types will be known to you. Here are few types of melons:
- Korean Melon
- Horned Melon
- Bitter Melon
- Winter Melon
- Sprite Melon
- Canary Melon
- Golden Langkawi
- Santa Claus Melon
- Cantaloupe Melon
Try To Hook The Reader Into The Detailed Sections Where You’ll Discuss The Various Benefits And Facts About The Different Types Of Melons.
Watermelon originated in Southern Africa and has become one of the most popular melons. Though nobody thought it could be grown in any country out of Africa, it grows almost in every country and the harvest is adequate. This fruit comes with thick skin which is usually green and the inner side is red but you should not be surprised if the inner side is orange or yellow. It is a vine like plant and tastes sweet. This melon can be up to 200 Kgs in weight. Two types are watermelon is common and they are:
Though these melons have been named after seedless, they have seeds but the number is few. They became popular in 1990s though they have been existed with this name since last sixty years.
These melons usually are oval or round shape and weigh up to 50 pounds. They are called picnic watermelon because a single watermelon can satisfy a large number of people like in a picnic. They also taste sweet and are suitable for crowd.
Quick Facts about Watermelon
- The Juice Of Watermelons relieves muscle soreness
- Watermelon contains more Lycopene compared to Raw Tomatoes
- The rind and seeds of watermelon are edible
- Approximately 95 percent of a watermelon is water
- Watermelon can be eaten raw and by cooking
Benefits of Watermelons
- Prevents cell damage
- Good For Hair and Skin
- Hydrate during Extreme Heat
- Improves Heart Health
- Sprouted Watermelons have more calories and less fat
Nutritional Value of Watermelons
- 21 Percent Vitamin C
- 18 Percent Vitamin A
- 4 Percent Magnesia
- 5 Percent Potassium
Edibility of Watermelons
- Inner red flesh can be eaten completely
- The rinds are also edible though many people do not
- You Can Also eat the seeds
The color design of Korean melon makes it different than the number of varieties. The yellow outer skin with white-deep yellow distinguishes this melon but some more things you should know about this melon. It is one of the smallest melons and it weighs less than 1 kilograms. The sweet flesh is completely edible and the taste is as good as its awesome.
Quick Facts About Korean Melon
- Though its name is Korean Melon. This melon was originated in India and then it was also grown in China.
- This melon is also called Golden Melon
- Korean Melons are available at the end of fall and summer
Benefits Of Korean Melons
- Prevents Stroke by reducing cholesterol Level
- Keep your body hydrated
- Eliminates the risk of Kidney Stones
- Help your body manage Blood pressure
Nutritional Value Of Korean Melon
- Contains vitamin C up to 62 percent
- Anti-cancer property is available in it
- Contains vitamin K and Calcium
Edibility Of Korean Melon
- You can eat the whole fruit leaving literally nothing
- Korean Melon is good for a smoothie after mixing a little amount of sugar
- This melon can be used to make ice cream
Cantaloupe is significant as fruit salads and its popularity in America increases in a great speed. This melons weighs up to 5 kilograms and the minimum weight of this type of melons and you will be surprised to hear that many varieties of this melons are avail and consumed in all over the world. If you love salads, you must manage some cantaloupe melons.
Quick Facts About Cantaloupe
- The name Cantaloupe has come from the name of an Cantaloupe, Italy
- This melons are the most popular melons in the United States
- Many fruits are look like Cantaloupe though they are not and you might confuse it with other fruits.
Benefits Of Cantaloupe
- Keeps Hydrated
- Ensures Clear Skin
- Improves Digestions
Nutritional Value of Cantaloupe
- Vitamin A 120%
- Calcium 2%
- Vitamin C 108%
- Iron 2%
Edibility Of Cantaloupe
- Eaten as the most favorite Salad
- A delicious soup can be made with this Cantaloupe
- Can be used as dessert after finishing the Course
- Edible as A Sweet Sauce
The first confusing question about cucumber is that whether it is a fruit or a vegetable. Well, we will not bother with the answer. Mentioning about the size, a cucumber can be up to 24 inches large and its diameter could be approximately 4 inches. Its taste is different than other. Though it tastes like other melons, sometimes, it tastes bitter and this awkward incident happens in the same plant.
Things You should know About Cucumber
- Cucumber removes pen ink after rubbing repeatedly on the ink
- Cucumber was first grown in India during second to third millennia BC
- The temperature difference in and out of a cucumber can be up to 20 Degree which means even the temperature is 40 degree in outer side, it can be 20 degree in the in side of a cucumber. It cools the blood of the consumer.
Benefits Of Cucumber
- Helps you lose weight
- Lowers blood sugar
- Promotes Dehydration
Nutritional Value of Cucumber: If you measure 300 g unpeeled cucumber, you will get the following
- Vitamin C: 14 % of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 62 % Of the RDI
- Calories: 45 g
- Carbs: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Magnesium: 10% of the RDI
- Manganese: 12% of the RDI
- Potassium: 13% of the RDI
- Total fat: No Fat
Edibility or Uses Of Cucumber
- If you love pasta, adding cucumber can make it different in taste and health benefits
- The fruit is cold even in the hot weather. Also, its smoothie can keep you cool in the summer day
- A lemonade drink made of cucumber may freshen you
- You can use cucumber as the common salad item and a day cannot be thought in the absence of cucumber
The name might surprise many of you if you are not aware of this melon but once you see this, you are not supposed to have any question with the name. The surface part of the melon contains spike shapes that look like horn and it was named after the horns. The taste is tart like and you can imagine the combined taste of zucchini and cucumber. The inner side looks like that of cucumber. Its inner flesh is green but the surface and seed colour is slightly yellow. You never forget neither the taste nor the exceptional natural design.
Quick Facts About Horned Melon
- According to Scientific Classification, Horned melon is a family member of gourds.
- ‘Kiwano’ is the most common name for Horned Melon. It is also called African Cucumbers
- These fruits is edible raw and by cooking
- Horned Melon tastes sweet and it turns sour gradually
Benefits Of Horned Melon
- Ensures healthy digestion
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Keeps young for longer time
- Helps in healthy vision
Nutritional Value of Horned Melon: If 100 g horned melon is served, then the following amount of nutrition is met.
- Vitamin C: 9 %
- Vitamin A: 3 %
- Iron: 6 %
- Calcium: 1 %
Edibility Of Horned Melon
- Eatable with Fruit salad
- Horned Salsa gained popularity for its health benefits and taste
- Garnish roasted meat tastes double with Horned Melon
Honeydew is popular around the world for its juicy flesh and its sweet taste makes anyone fan of this melons. The flesh of this melon is pale with a mixture of slightly green colour in it and it is very smooth. If you are a salad lover and you cannot go with a day without salad, honeydew should be your favorite fruit for you as it adds the taste you want in you salad.
Quick Facts About Honeydew
- Honeydew in China is named ‘Wallace Melon’ after the American Vice President Henry Wallace who visited China in early 1940’s and distributed melon seeds to the local farmers. He is known as the first one who introduced honeydew in china.
- Though usually honeydew has had greenish pale flesh, some of them have orange-colored flesh.
- Honeydew is usually oval or round shape.
- This melon weighs between 1.8 to 3.6 kgs and its common size remains between 15 to 22 centimeters.
Benefits of Honeydew
- This melons help you lose weight
- It ensures that you have a healthy blood pressure level
- These melons help repair tissue in the body
Nutritional Value of Honeydew: If you eat honey dew that weighs 100 g, you will have:
- Vitamin A : 1%
- Vitamin C: 30 %
- Calcium: 1 %
- Iron: 1 %
Edibility or Uses of Honeydew
- Honeydew is special and the regular item for salad lover and if you haven’t tried yet, try it and you will love it.
- It is served as dessert in many celebrations
- If you hate and avoid fried things for health problem, honeydew is your best snack.
- It is also good for Juice to keep you cool and remove your tiredness.
If you have visited south Asia, probably you have seen this fruit to be eaten by many people. Actually, Gac melon is considered as the primary fruit over there. Some of the countries such as Vietnam cook it with different food items like rice. Besides, is flavor is also likeable to anyone. But, you might not get this fruit in the whole year for its short-time harvest season.
Quick Facts About Gac
- Gac was originated in South China For the First Time
- The color of the flesh of Gac is light orange
- The diameter of a Gac is 13 cm in length and 10 cm width
Benefits Of Gac
- Gac Expand your youth
- Gac has the capacity of combating cancer
- It helps lower cholesterol levels
- If you are suffering from depression, Gac can be a fruitful medicine for you.
Nutritional Value of Gac
- Carbohydrate 13.38%
- Protein 20%
- Total dietary Fiber 4.21%
- Total Fat 0.86%
- Calcium 3.60%
Edibility or Uses Of Gac
- When the inner side of the fruit is bright red, it is slightly soft and ripe. You can a use a spoon or use your hand to part the fruit and enjoy
- The seeds and pulps are also eaten in many countries with rice after cooking
Bitter Melon is also known as Bitter Quash or Bitter Guard. Though it was originated in Indian Sub-continent, beside Asia, it is widely grown in African and many Caribbean countries. The melon is named after its taste. Different types of bitter melons are available based on their sizes. Among them, the small bitter melons are bitter compared to the large ones. This melon is usually eaten after cooking as vegetable.
Quick Facts About Bitter Melon
- Bitter Melon is originated in India and it known as Kerala in the Indian Continent
- Bitter Melon Leaves are used as medical purposes
Benefits Of Bitter Melon
- Bitter Melon contains anti-cancer properties and disrupts the pancreatic cancer cells
- This melons leaves glowing effect on your skin and makes skin whiter and healthy
- Bitter melon is known as the agent of blood purifying
Nutritional Value of Bitter Melon: Major Nutritional Values of 100 Grams Bitter Melons
- Vitamin A 471 IU – 16% RDA
- Vitamin C 84 mg – 140% RDA
- Potassium 296 mg – 6% RDA
- Iron 0.43 mg – 5% RDA
- Magnesium 17 mg – 4% RDA
- Zinc 0.80mg – 7% RDA
Edibility or Uses Of Bitter Melon
- Bitter Melon is usually eaten by frying
- It’s curry with small fishes is also popular in India
- Bitter melons can be cooked with Eggs
- A healthy Juice is made from green bitter melons
Winter Melon is also known as winter gourd, tallow gourd, ash gourd or white gourd. It’s a vine and looks like eggplant in shape but the difference is in the size. This melon can be up to 80 centimeters in length. Winter melon is currently grown in the Southern and Eastern parts of Asia and this vegetable is usually available during the winter. The surface part of winter melon is usually smooth unless the gourd is over aged.
Quick Facts About Winter Melon
- All parts of a winter melon is used for medical purposes
- Winter Melon is recommend by Ayurveda for treating Peptic ulcers
- Winter melon is used in China for softening skin and saving skin from sun. It is also used for anti-aging skin and anti-wrinkles properties
Benefits Of Winter Melon
- Bitter Melon improves digestive health
- It takes care of your heart health and reduce the risk of stroke
- This Melon prevents migraines
- It maintains the energy level in the body
Nutritional Value of Winter Melon
- Dietary Fiber: 10.00%
- Iron: 6.63%
- Vitamin B1: 4.42%
- Phosphorus: 3.57%
Edibility or Uses Of Winter Melon
- Winter Melon is very popular in Chinese Soup and it adds much taste to your rice.
- It is also used in Chicken Soup and the taste is delicious
- It can be eaten with Tomato Simmer
- Winter Melon is also good for salads though it is not that much popular
Sprite Melon came from Japan. However, you might confuse it with honeydew. It has been popular after its cultivation in Carolina. It comes with usually round shape and it has many seeds in the core of the fruit. The flesh is ivory color and changes the color when it ripens completely. In every bite, it provides with juice and the juice is around thirty times sweeter than other melon Juice. Sprite melon is more popular for using as dessert. You can try it on your birthday or any other celebration as dessert too.
Quick Facts About Sprite melon
- Sprite Melons are usual small in size
- It is usually a little more than one pound weight
- The rinds changes from white to yellow when ripened.
Benefits Of Sprite melon
- Sprite Melons provides Sugar to body and helps not suffer from lack of sugar fall
- It ensures hydration in hot day in summer
Nutritional Value (100g per serving)
- Sugars: 9 g
- Dietary fiber: 333 mg
- Fat: No
- Protein: 63.3 mg
- Vitamin C: 42 mg
- Iron: 0.7 mg
Edibility or Uses Of Sprite Melon
- Sprite Melon is mostly popular for edibility as snack
- It is popular as a dessert
- You can eat Sprite Melon with Stir-fry
Canary Melon is large in size. So, you can distribute the slices of one melong among several people. The surface yellow color of this fruit is extremely bright and you cannot miss it if it is in front of you. Besides, the appearance of the melon attracts anyone. The inner flesh of canary melon is pale-green and it fills your mouth with sweet juice once you bite it. Canary melon has been popular for its use as dessert. Besides, many people like it as snack.
Quick Facts About Canary Melon
- This Melon is usually oval in shape
- You can preserve a ripe melon in refrigerator for up to three days
- Its ripe inner flesh is pale-green and sweet to eat
Benefits Of Canary Melon
- Canary Melon keeps your eyes healthy
- This Melon works as medicine for digestive problems
- If anyone suffers from hypertension, canary melon reduces the hypertension
Nutritional Value of Canary Melon: You can get the following nutrition if you measure 100 grams of Canary Melon.
- Calories: 34
- Carbohydrate: 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
- Potassium: 494 mg
- Vitamin C : 50 % of Daily Value
- Vitamin A: 50% of Daily Value
Edibility or Uses Of Canary Melon
- Canary Melon tastes great as a Salad
- It is also popular in Stir-fry
- Canary Melon Juice is cold and meets thirst
Malaysia originated golden Langkawi can weigh up to six pounds. Though the surface of almost all the melons is hard, Langkawi comes with comparatively smoother skin. The deep yellow color looks like the gold. So, people call it Golden Langkawi. This fruit has much water in eat and can dehydrate your body during the hot days of the summer. However, these melons are mostly suitable for people who have no space or less spaces in their garden or roof. You can plant these melons in poly-bags or plastic pots and allow you to pant them on roof or garden saving spaces.
Quick Facts About Golden Langkawi:
- Golden melon, belongs to family ‘Cucurbitaceae’, is botanically known as Cucumis melo
- It contains the combined taste of apple, guava and watermelon
- The skin of golden Langkawi is also edible
Benefits Of Golden Langkawi
- Golden Langkawi has the capacity of regulating blood pressure
- It prevents Cardiovascular Diseases
- Langkawi Melon Keeps body hydrated
Nutritional Value of Golden Langkawi: (For Serving 227 grams)
- Calories: 90
- Vitamin A: 160 % of Daily Value
- Vitamins C: 68 % of Daily Value
- Sodium: 2%
Edibility or Uses Of Golden Langkawi
- You can eat raw Golden Langkawi.
- Its seeds are also edible.
- Stir-fry of this melon is also popular.
- You can make juice.
Apollo Melon is confusing to many people as golden Langkawi though many differences are between these two types of melons. The notable difference is the surface. Though the surface of Langkawi is smooth, it is opposite for Apollo. It comes with a webbed skin. Besides, the color is also different. Langkawi has light color while the Apollo has bright color. The major change that you will notice is that you will not find any fiber as Apollo doesn’t has one. If you look into its water content, it has adequate water level.
Quick Facts About Apollo Melon
- Apollo Melon looks exactly Langkawi
- It has no fiber
Benefits Of Apollo Melon
- Apollo Melon Keeps your Body Hydrated
- It manages levels of blood pressure
Nutritional Value of Apollo Melon
- Apollo Melon contains a huge amount of Vitamin C
- It has Vitamin A in remarkable portion
Edibility or Uses Of Apollo Melon
- Apollo Melon tastes great as Sala
- Many countries recognize it as a dessert
- It is suitable for tasty Juice
Santa Claus Melon
If you are looking for melon for three meals, you are probably looking for Santa Claus Melon. It comes with green striped skin and the seeds are inside the surface skin. The flesh is as sweet as a cantaloupe and it becomes a foot in length. The pale green flesh can satisfy anyone. However, if you want to eat it as snack, this melon suits you the best.
Quick Facts About Santa Claus Melon
- Santa Claus Melon is also known as piel de sapo
- You can eat it as Dinner, Lunch or as Snack
- It gives strong aroma
Benefits Of Santa Claus Melon
- Santa Claus Melon Helps Control Blood Pressure Level
- It also prevents stroke
Nutritional Value of Santa Claus Melon
- This melon contains more than 90 % water
- It has low fat and less calores
- It is good source of Vitamin C
Edibility or Uses Of Santa Claus Melon
- It is edible as raw by cutting in slices
- The smoothie made from this Melon is delicious
- It can also eaten by cooking
Cantaloupe Melon (European)
Cantaloupe is a melon that size becomes usually 500 gram to 5 kg is the most popular melon in America. Many types of cantaloupes grow in different places. Also, people around the world love to eat them. Some valid reasons work behind the popularity of this melon. Firstly, this melon is easy to digest; so, the consumer doesn’t have to face any issue after eating this fruit. Besides, it has the capacity of lowering the risk of metabolism. This melon can work as a dessert that your guests may eat. Certainly, many of them will love it for sure.
Quick Facts About Cantaloupe Melon
- The most popular melon in the United States
- Its size remains less than 11 pounds
Benefits Of Cantaloupe Melon
- Cantaloupe is easy to digest
- It ensures naturals burst of energy
- This melon lowers the risk of metabolism
Nutritional Value of Cantaloupe Melon: (Nutritional Value of One Cup Cantaloupe)
- Vitamin C: 59 g (108 %)
- Vitamin A: 270 g (120 %)
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Sugar: 13 g
- Calories: 54
Edibility or Uses Of Cantaloupe Melon
- It is popular for eating as Salad
- Cantaloupe goes well with ice cream or custard
- It has popularity as fresh fruit
Can Melons Really Prevent Diseases?
To be specific, many doctors sometimes suggest melons as medicines. You can rely on melons because they are good for people with serious diseases, such as cancer. Though all the melons do not have the similar capacity of preventing similar diseases, all of them benefit the human health.
Melons contain anti-cancer properties in them and the high content of carotenoids lower the risk of lung cancer. They can also prevent cancer with the assistance of carotenoids.
Improvement of the Digestion System
By containing different types of Vitamins, melons also contain a huge amount of water and minerals. The water in this fruits improves the digestion system and smoothen the stomach function. Meanwhile, the minerals reduce acidity that often causes problems indigestions.
Improvement of the Heart Health
Melon contains an anticoagulant known as adenosine which stops the clotting of blood cells. These clotting cells are responsible for stroke. Quitting the clotting, melon reduces the risk of strokes or heart diseases.
Blood Pressure Control
Blood pressure is one of the common diseases in the world but it is not a normal disease. Eating Melons can regulate the blood pressure level in the body and keep you healthy with an accurate level of blood pressure.
Except for these disease regulations, some other health benefits are available, such as dehydration and weight loss.
When you work or ride a bike in the sun of the summer, your body loses water and if you do not take the necessary steps, you can be weak. It causes great suffering. To avoid this situation, always keep a bottle with pure water. Melon Juice can be a good alternative and to some extent, even better than water. It not only hydrates your body but also secures you from getting faint.
Weight loss is another important benefit that few people can deny. Cucumber is one of the important foods for losing weight quickly and meaningfully. Besides, the melon salads are good for health. So, when you think you need to lose your belly fat, you can take melon salads in every meal. Melon Stir-fry is also good for health. It provides you with adequate energy so that your body can work longer time and still remains healthy.
Some Melon Drinks Suggestions
As you have read the previous part of this article, we can take you to be knowledgeable about different types of edibility of different types of melons. You also know that the juice of melons is very popular worldwide. In this section, we will give some ideas about melon cocktails that you must like.
Fresh Melon Juice
Without regarding the types of melons, the first thing that pops up in the head is the fresh juice of melons. This juice is easy to make and healthy to drink. Just muddle some pieces of melons without regarding they are watermelons or cantaloupe American or European and keep in the in the refrigerator or add some ice after blending.
The Long Hope
The Long Hope cocktail is another popular type of cocktail in America. The recipe is easy and you do not need to worry about the ingredients. Just mix fresh cucumber and mint with honeydew and lemon Juices. The juice flavors nice and drinks it with softer profile gins.
Summer Cantaloupe Cooler
If you want to offer some fun in cocktails, cantaloupe is much more suitable than the honeydew. However, you must have to be careful about one thing that you would have begun with a mescal rinse of the glass that you are going to use for this cooler.
You always like to get the juice and cocktail but due to the unavailability of the melons, you cannot heave the drinks year round. In this occasion, Japanese Slipper is a good alternative. It is made from a simple recipe of Midori, Cointreau and lemon Juice.
Cantaloupe Ginger Cocktail
If you want to add a little amount of cantaloupe, you should turn to ginger as it is one of the best pairings for melons. For making this cocktail, you require the addition of honey, a cantaloupe puree, grated ginger, and fresh lime. Make and drink it. You will never forget the taste.
A Few Extras For Your Assistance
You have read about different types of melons and you are also aware of the juices that you have already. Now, you need some more information.
How To Choose The Best Melon
It doesn’t make any difference which type of melons you are going to choose or buy. Some common things are there that you must follow while buying.
Skin Color is the first characteristic that you can notice of a melon and this is also the first step to choose a melon too. Always consider the dull color melon which indicates that the melon has ripened accurately. The shiny color signals that the melon is still not properly ripe.
Smell the Melon
Smell is a significant characteristic that easily denotes whether the melon is green or ripe. So, while buying the melons, smell the melons and do not choose until the smell ensures that the melon is ripe.
Size and weight
Everyone should buy the heaviest one of that particular melon because heaviest ones can ensure the ripeness doubly compared to other sizes. So, choose the largest size of that particular type of melons that is heaviest in weight.
Tap on the surface
Have you ever seen your parents tapping the melons while buying? Probably, you had and though it is absolutely absurd but in reality, it means a lot. Now, it’s your turn. Don’t know how? Just tap on the melon with your palm and if it returns you a hollow sound, the melon has passed this stage.
How To Store Melons?
Maybe, you have bought melons choosing from several options. Maybe, you have picked the best melons. So, you do not want them to become inedible due to improper storage, right? Here some steps to take for storing melons…
Storing Ripe Melons (Uncut): Melons come with hard appearance but they are easy to rot beside ripe melons produce ethylene gas. So, you need to make sure other melons do not become ripe with the gas. You can gradually store these ripe melons in a different place. However, make sure you maintain a moderate distance in between every two melons. You can keep uncut melons in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Storing Cut Melons: Once you have cut a melon, you cannot secure it for five days as the uncut one. If you have cut into half, store the melons in a plastic bag and keep in the refrigerator. Do not remove the seeds as they ensure the freshness of the melons. You can store these cut melons for three days.
Where To Use Melons?
You have already known the different types of uses of the melons. But, we believe, showing information in one place might make it easy to know “how to use the melons”.
Desserts: Melons have achieved much more popularity for their use as desserts. In many countries, people serve them after foods for leaving the positive impact on the guests. Also, melon dessert has successfully done the job.
Soup: Whether you make the chicken soup or other meat, any type of melons can serve you better than any other vegetables. Just cut them in small square slices and use them with the soup, You will never forget the tastes. You can serve it in different parties like birthday or wedding anniversary.
Pickled: Do you know you can eat watermelon rind after pickling? You can also enhance the taste adding honeydew and cantaloupe flesh. You can enjoy it better with rice-meat dishes.
Salads: This is most common use of melons. Whether you eat at home or in a restaurant, you cannot think of completing the meal without having melon salads. Among all the melon salads, cucumber is the most used worldwide as it is colder than other.
Caution: You must wrap a cut melon with plastic bag while keeping it in the fridge without regarding it is watermelon or Santa Claus Melon as the piece can spreads flavor in the other food of the fridges. Besides, if you use melon on your skin or other places like many people do, do not forget to consult to a physician first.