Energy bars become an indispensable item for cyclists. It is because they provide instant energy to cyclists. It greatly charged them up during an interval. Do you want an energy bar that is tasty and nutritious and a good source of instant energy?
The good news is making an energy bar at home is not a challenging task. It requires collecting pure ingredients and no preservatives, artificial flavors, or any other chemicals. Two essential ingredients to make homemade energy bars are fruits and nuts. Let us make an energy bar.
Why Are Energy Bars Essential For Athletes?
The most convincing reason is energy bars are easy to digest. It is an easily digestible carb that breaks down quickly inside our stomach and provides instant energy to our body. It is like a portable energy source. In the long ride, inevitably, fatigue will greatly weaken you and bound to terminate your trip. So, carrying energy bars are essential to continue your journey.
Another reason why energy bars are beneficial for health is they don’t contain high amounts of protein and fat making them less hard to digest. Besides, both protein and fat have a negative impact on performance. Instead, fruits are included in the recipe of energy bars which is a major source of energy.
What Makes An Ideal Energy Bar
It needs to be delicious. The simple fact is if it does not taste good, why will athletes eat it?
The energy bar should be the right mixture of carbohydrates, calories, fat, and sodium.
- Easy to munch
- Easy to make
- Can be made in a short time
- Have a crunchy texture
- Can be made with easily available ingredients
The Recipe Of A Homemade Endurance Raw Bar
This recipe will produce 4 energy bars. Each of them contains 49 g of carbs and 415 total kcal. Eating two of them before a ride will energize you for 4 hours of biking. Another thing is bicycle riding making you sweat. While sweating, you will lose valuable minerals. This recipe for energy bars includes nuts. And, this nut will compensate for your lost minerals. You can make this bar using various types of nuts to keep it interesting.
- Dates (1½ cup )
- cashews or a mix of nuts (½ cup)
- coconut flakes (½ cup )
- Coconut oil (1 tbsp)
- Chop nuts and dates and then put them into a blender and mix
- Add coconut oil and make a homogenous dough
- Make a brick shape energy bar with the dough, cover it with a foil and place it inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take out the brick shape bar and cut into smaller bars of your choice and again cover it in foil.
- Store these bars in a sealed container
- Keep the container in a dry cold place.
Another recipe of homemade energy bars
This recipe includes grains, oats and is a complex carb that offers a quick energy boost and is a long-lasting fuel source. The recipe also includes two essential minerals sodium and potassium.
- Outs ( 4 cups)
- Cereal (4 cups)
- Nuts (1 cup)
- Raisins (1 cup)
- Chocolate chips( 1 cup)
- Peanut butter ( 1 ½ cups)
- Sweetener/binding agent (2 cups of corn syrup)
- Salt to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the peanut butter and sweetener in moderate temperature
- Combine them with the rest of the ingredients
- Pour the entire mixture into a large square pan, and let it cool.
- Slice the chunk of the energy bars and make smaller square shape energy bars measuring 2-inch-by-2-inch.
Each bar contains 40 grams of carbs and delivers 250 calories of energy
Eating one such bar will keep you energetic for 60 minutes of bike riding.
Pumpkin Pie Energy Bar Recipe
This is another delicious and nutritious energy bar. The recipe we discussed below will produce 12 bars.
- Dates (2 cups)
- Raw cashews (one cup)
- Pumpkin purée (1/4 cup)
- Pumpkin seeds( 2 tablespoons)
- shredded unsweetened coconut (1 tablespoon)
- Nut butter(1 tablespoon)
- Cinnamon (½ teaspoon)
- Nutmeg (½ teaspoon)
- Pure vanilla extract (½ teaspoon)
- Dash salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor except toppings
- Blend thoroughly to combine well
- Take a pan and place a parchment paper measuring 8×8 over it.
- Pour the mixture into the pan
- Do not fill the whole pan
- Once the mixture is evenly spread, place toppings on top of it.
- Place the mixture inside of a freezer and leave it there for 2-3 hours
- When the mixture turned solid, cut it into small pieces and store them in a sealed container.